Common people mostly have fickle minds; they are always guided by what they wish to believe, often with their advantage. When they are worried, frightened and clueless about the near future they are most vulnerable to doubt and conspiracy theories. For the last six months people all over the globe are very disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, not so much because of the deadly ramifications of the virus than the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it has brought in its wake. They desperately need certainly to get back to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to just accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a scam, it’s simply a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is established and the social networking as always helps it spread-at times faster than the killer virus. Probably the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the important points that over 806 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only older people with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that on average the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for many countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young people too and anyone can be infected from this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’sections of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US which we will not make an explanation here just to avoid vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to say here that writer got a cultural media forward giving a link to a write-up by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is a’political hoax ‘. Even as we mentioned earlier plenty of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other than the usual medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that just a’annual influenza’has been called a pandemic and he wanted action against the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a sequence of reactions in the state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections as opposed to destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory stops working at the basic premise itself: if that’s so then this phenomenon must certanly be occurring each year, and why then this year must be so different! Governments do not need to have gone on an urgent situation drive to produce more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds merely to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of varied affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some which we narrate below as arguments to break such types of fake and motivated views:
1. Let us take the example of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring plenty of conspiracy theories about China itself we just ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is caused by a virus) in terms of continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful in keeping the infected numbers below 100,000 the country is still fearing an additional outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to avoid its spread. Its aggression against India can also be explained as part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed more than half a million up to now and is still on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to circumstances of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one would be to account fully for a death rate of over 14% (seen in a couple of countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization keep on telling’lies’that the newest Coronavirus is quite dangerous that could probably stay for significantly more than two years and the worst is yet in the future despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to possess accepted in the beginning that pandemic is the greatest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the world keep on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way for a recession possibly even worse than the Great Depression? In particular, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it has achieved in development so far.
5. How come this type of mad rush all over the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At the very least this kind of intensive medical research cannot mask a hidden agenda whatever which could be.
Within the last couple of days new cases in India have now been rising at nearly 25000 each day with the only real solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. As of this crucial juncture we ought to not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to make a kill in terms of profit. Like, if your link for a write-up with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social networking and motivated media outlets consider the kind of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.