As diesel fuel prices keep working higher all fleet companies have to take paths to attain fuel savings. This indicates each year the transportation industry faces new perils during winter months months and this year is not any different. Currently the weather forecasters are predicting not only one of many coldest, but the snowiest in the last five (5) years. On the list of challenges above and beyond the weather, diesel fuel costs are on the rise again and most states and many municipalities have mandated idling restrictions.
Here are a few simple tips to greatly help maintain your fleet companies equipment, mobile fueling, lower diesel fuel prices, fuel cards and bring more fuel savings.
1. Please make sure you have adequately treated with diesel fuel additives the bulk fleet fueling tanks for the temperatures you will be dealing with. Think when it comes to where in actuality the coldest point your fleet companies trucks will run to and treat accordingly with a quality diesel fuel additives program.
2. Block heaters aren’t designed to warm an engine. They are created to maintain the heat already generated in the engine. Thus it is vital that the truck be plugged in while the engine is still warm. If your fleet companies truck ask them to, use them. This will make starting fuel saving by to be able to start the truck easier.
3. Remind the drivers to UNPLUG the truck before beginning it. 2 – 3 seconds of the engine running while the block heaters are plugged in is sufficient to burn up the block heaters. This would increase your fleet management cost should they do this and reduce your fuel savings, communicate it clearly.
4. Don’t idle the trucks. You is going to do more to COOL the engine by idling a truck coming off the trail vs. shutting it off. (Engine temperature rises approx. 18 degrees when it is shut-off.) Conversely, good fleet management is starting a cold truck and letting it idle is futile. If you need to’warm’a truck that’s been sitting – be in it and drive it around the yard and’exercise’the truck once it has reached maximum oil-pressure. This will warm the engine, transmission, differential and suspension. And undoubtedly prevent running the chance of potential fines for idling for both driver and the organization cheap fuel Your diesel fuel prices will be lower by running your fleet companies trucks at maximum efficiency also increasing fuel savings. Fleet managers have to speak with drivers about these kinds of fleet management operations.
5. Make sure to drain air-tanks and fuel water separators. Since the ambient air temperatures fall, the capability for water to condense in fleet fueling tanks increases and could be carried in to the filter/heater unit. During periods of extreme cold this would be achieved on a daily basis. The fleet fueling filters are the only real protection the engine has against possible contaminants from your own fuel companies fuel. A bigger micron fleet fueling filter should never be utilized to give filter life or increase flow. It may void the warranty and could be damaging to the pump and/or the injectors. What may seem such as for instance a fleet management solution today may cause your fleet companies operation far more later. Use properly treated diesel fuel additives and your fuel savings and fleet fueling filters will be fine.
6. Be certain air hoses are’hooked up’to each other or if equipped to the dummy glad-hands when the equipment isn’t in use. This really is one of many leading factors behind brakes freezing up. As fleet managers, as part of your fleet management directives this would maintain as part of your plan.
7. If moisture is present in an air-line, use one cap saturated in brake line anti-freeze in the EMERGENCY (red) side ONLY. Never put it in the blue side or you might cause the brakes to lock up. Use only company supplied brake line anti-freeze as there are many products on the market that will cause injury to the internal brake system.
8. Be certain glad-hands connect’tight ‘. If they go on’loose’they will come off in a restricted turn and can cause unnecessary cycling of the air compressor. Ensure you have a nice and snug fit.
These few tips could make the difference between go or no go situation, making that delivery commitment, or completing a work vs. a breakdown. Breakdowns during inclement weather are extremely dangerous. There are many great techniques for proper fuel management in cold temperatures but best tip is to boost driver awareness and subsequently hold them accountable for action or inaction and hopefully fuel savings or at the least not increased costs on your own diesel fuel prices.
As most of us soon get ready for a brand new year, it’s time for you to review our fuel management, fleet management, fuel companies and fuel cards. We like to express take stock in your entire program by reviewing your fleet management programs, fleet cards, diesel fuel additives, fuel management systems to ensure these fueling projects remain providing you fuel savings. Each fleet companies operation should have a look at it’s projections on diesel fuel prices now for next years fleet fueling budget and take additional actions on it’s mobile fueling, fuel card, fleet management services to boost fuel savings. It looks like 2011, diesel fuel prices will be going higher so fuel management a lot more than ever will be important. Sokolis Group will be here for you to help decide on your own fuel card, mobile fueling, fleet card and decrease your diesel fuel prices and increase fuel savings in 2011.